Summer Team Read by the Numbers:
- 131 second and third graders have signed up to continue their Team Read learning experience this summer.
- 68 teen reading coaches are continuing their tutoring work this summer to support these readers.
- 3 Seattle Public Library branches will host our Seattle Team Read summer program: Rainier Beach, NewHolly and Douglass-Truth
- 2 new Seattle Team Read Summer Program locations: South Park Community Center will serve the Concord Elementary students, and Martin Luther King Elementary will host a program at their school.
- 1st Highline Team Read Summer Program will be held at the Hazel Valley Elementary School library.
- 1,000 books donated by our friends at Sasquatch Books to encourage reading at home during the summer. Each student will receive 5 Little Bigfoot children’s books!
Team Read’s space-themed summer program starts next week and will run from June 27-July 27. We are excited to offer this continuation of one-on-one reading tutoring for our students!
Summer learning loss is a major contributor to the achievement gap and leads to an increased high school dropout rate for low-income teens, according to the National Summer Learning Association. Team Read is dedicated to preventing summer slide by providing year-round support for our students. “I am most looking forward to seeing the kids and teens having fun together as they read!” says Summer Program Coordinator Rose Waller. “We are incorporating team building and circle times into our summer program this year to create a sense of unity and closeness.” To learn more about Team Read’s summer program, visit our Programs page.
If you would like to see the summer program in action, please contact Kristin Galioto at firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule a site visit.